My Advertising Pays, It Pays To Be On M.A.P!

George Washington

The following is an excerpt from the lost biography of George
Washington.

"George, son, did you chop down the cherry tree?"

"No, Dad."

Several months later...

"George, I've heard from others that you did chop down that cherry tree
last winter. Did you? Your punishment will be much worse for you if you
lie. Now, tell me the truth!"

"Dad, I answered your question truthfully. Yet, I must take complete
responsibility for all my actions. While my answer was legally accurate,
I did not volunteer information. Indeed, Dad, I did cause the cherry
tree to be lying on the ground. To do this was wrong. It constituted a
critical lapse in judgment and a personal failure on my part for which I
am solely and completely responsible. I know my answer to you gave a
false impression. I misled you, my own father. I deeply regret that. I
can only tell you I was motivated by many factors.

"What I did, Dad, was use a saw to cause the cherry tree to fall. Only
after the tree was already down did I go get my axe to chop off
individual branches. Therefore, legally, I told the truth. I ask you to
turn away from the spectacle of this fallen tree and to return our
attention to a solid family relationship. After all, who's going to
remember a cherry tree as a symbol of my character and ability to lead?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be appreciated